Saturday, September 11, 2010

Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge #95 - High Noon


Welcome everyone to our 95th Cinema Saturday Challenge, where this week we are featuring the 4 time Oscar winning movie: High Noon - starring Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly. We realized that we had never done a "western" before and wanted to honor this genre with this amazing movie. According to Wikipedia: "in 1989, High Noon was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" , entering the registry during the later's first year of existence. The film is #27 on the American Film Institute's 2007 list of great films." The challenge requirement for this is rather simple: to create a something that has a Western inspired feel.

*** If you haven't seen this movie, its really very powerful - some have called it one of the best Western movies of all time - one that tells a tale of civic responsibility without having frontier violence or tribes of marauding Indians. It tells the story of a lone marshall, who feels compelled by his duty to face dangerous criminals who come back to town to get rid of him at high noon, and as he turns to the town for help, everyone refuses him any assistance. This tale is one of internal struggle to do what is right, without any support from anyone - as you struggle with your own conscience.

This is one of my favorite all time movies - yes - you heard that right :)- I have watched this movie every year with my father ever since I was 15. My father loves this movie with Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly and so it became a tradition after a few times that we would watch it together every year. The opening song: "Do not forsake me O my Darling" is forever stuck in my heart - this song is the FIRST Oscar winning song that is not from a musical! There is something about Gary Cooper asking everyone for help and no one comes to his aid that really inspires me because he has to face these men by himself. He didn't run away from the conflict - he faced it head on, alone - and that just makes me admire Marshal Will Kane. In making my card, I decided to focus on Grace Kelly's character Amy. In this movie, Will marries Amy - who is a Quaker and therefore a pacifist - she refuses to help him as he returns to town to fight the criminals but in the end comes to his aid. I don't want to ruin the end for you - but her appearance and what she does which is 100% opposite to her belief is what saves his life. Grace Kelly later on became a "real" princess as she married the Prince of Monaco, and so this card is a tribute to that - as well as to the fact that she is definitely brave and comes to help.
Card Ingredients:
Accessories: dimensional foam, scalloped border from MFT, brads, Adirondack liquid pearls, twine, cuttlebug embossing folder and ribbon from stash

I am not a very good "western" card maker, but I had fun playing with pink and making it a pink western card :) I hope that you all will play along - I know that Western movies is not a favorite genre for all people, but I promise that this one is really amazing - one of my all time faves - Hope that you will play along with us this week - can't wait to see what ya'll will make!
You can check out more details over at the Cinema Saturday blog!

Thanks so much for stopping by today!
Hugs,
Sankari :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

this is drop-dead gorgeous, sankari! LOVE IT!

Radha said...

Love the Indian touch!

Rose said...

Love the movie, love your card even more. Your adaptation of the movie to rubber stamping is awesome.