Saturday, July 4, 2009

Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge #39 - To Kill a Mockingbird


This week at Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge, we are featuring the 1962 Oscar winning movie: To Kill a Mockingbird. The challenge requirement is to use some black and white. This movie is rated as one of the 10 must see July 4th movies - because of its theme of justice.

I love this movie - it is one my favorites because of Gregory Peck's portrayal of Atticus Finch - who is just as I imagined him when I read the book. I remember my father reading this book when I was 8 years old and thinking that it mustn't be a very good book based on the title - little did I know what a great book this was and it was so wonderful when later on we read this book in highschool and I was able to talk to my dad about this book and we were able to discuss the themes, the characters and importance of integrity and honesty and the sense of duty and justice. So my card is dedicated to my father - who changed my life by introducing me to this book and ton of other classics and for all of the discussions of those books which have shaped my thinking, my ideas and self. I used Julee's awesomely lovely Mojo Monday Sketch #93 and flipped it around so that the sentiment could fit horizontally.


When I saw this sentiment - it just immediately reminded me of Atticus Finch - that he dared to do the thing that other people could not do at the time - and at the same time - people expected that him to do it along with respected him because of it. I adore the way he is with his children - and how he holds them close, as well as lets them go as they grow up. The little flower is a symbol of when Jem beat Mrs. Duboses flower bushes to a pulp and the subsequent lesson on life that he received from Atticus - and what true bravery is - seriously - this book is simply AMAZING! I love it and re-reading it always feels new.

Hope you have a chance to play along with us over at Cinema Saturday! There is some yummmmmmy blog candy that our guest designer Ann is giving away!! Check out the details over at Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge!

Hope you have a wonderful 4th of July - and enjoy time with your family!
Lots of hugs and happy wishes!
Sankari :)

5 comments:

Ann said...

Sankari, this sentiment is PERFECT for Atticus! You are so clever! ;) Thanks again for inviting me to play along with you girls this week...this movie is so special to me, and now I have a wonderful piece of art to display in my classroom. I know I'll think of you & Brooke when I look at it, too! Hugs!!!

Laurie Schmidlin said...

Sankari, this is absolutely GORGEOUS!! Sunning in every way!! I also love the story behind it...thank you so much for sharing about your dad - he sounds like a wonderful man!

Hugs,
Laurie

gale said...

Very pretty-love the red/black combo!

Desire Fourie said...

This is card is just stunning Sankari. You are very talented. Congrats also on winning the 2S4Y blog candy for the card show down. Your entry for this was also just gorgeous. Hugs from Desire

Janice said...

This card is b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l!!!. I also want to say congratulations on winning the 2S4Y Ultimate Card Showdown. My money was on you when I saw your card for week #3 -- the one with the owl, that was just toooooo clever and expertly crafted for the judges to overlook your amazing talent! Congrats again!