Saturday, October 16, 2010

Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge #99 - Edward Scissorhands


Welcome Everyone to our 99th Cinema Saturday Challenge! (WOW!)!!! Every saturday, Brooke and I pick a new movie from where we draw inspiration to create a card or scrapbook page. This week we are featuring the Oscar nominated Tim Burton  movie: Edward Scissorhands starring someone we love: Johnny Depp! If you haven't seen it - this movie is amazing - as usual, Tim Burton takes you into another world with his amazing imagination and introduces a character who is so sweet and loving, even though he has scissors for hands.  The story of Edward will definitely touch your heart! More than anything, Tim Burtons' use of colors and images is amazing in this movie, its not just dark, but it has bursts of color when Edward goes into suburbia and for all the different emotions, there are parallels in the movie with the different colors. It really is amazing! We hope you will watch it and play along!

As many of you know, I have a slight thing for Johnny Depp - the man is just an incredible actor, as well, as just being plain old incredible! Do you know that he lost 25 lbs for this movie! And that this movie was Vincent Price's last screen appearance? (you can find all these trivia bits here). I LOVE the use of color in this movie - seriously - it is amazing how Burton uses color to create emotion or to express an emotion. When Edward is in the Inventor's castle, it is very dark and when he emerges into suburbia with all the different colored houses etc., there are these bursts of color as he lives in the warmth of love and appreciation. For my card today, I wanted to create something that had both

- a black and white feel when he is with the Inventor
- and the colorful aspect of when he lives with Peg
- something that has a buckle of sorts to represent his amazing outfit!

All of these elements came together with this semi quote from Johnny Depp as he was interviewed by Arsenio Hall, where he said that the feeling of Edward Scissorhands for him was of  "Not being able to fit in, the feeling of wanting to touch something, but not being able too, its the feeling of your early teens..." I thought I wanted to create a card for a teen who is going through those teenish turmoils and would need some reassurance that they actually don't have to try to fit into anything other then being themselves. This is why I adore the character of Peg and Edward, she is such a mother figure and tries to take care of him and tries to make him feel loved. This inspired the lovely sentiment: "I love you just the way you are" from the beautiful stamp set: One Person from Verve Stamps. Isn't this sentiment just so sweet and so nourishing!

The challenge requirement was to create something that is hand cut or uses die cut or dies and so in honor his Scissorhands, I wanted to cut something out, so I did some paper piecing with the gorgeous flower form the flower from the Great Friend stamp set from  Verve Stamps. I finished it with some screw brads at the bottom in honor of Edward being created by the Inventor. 

I had so much fun creating this card and hope you will play along with this challenge! It's a great way to watch a movie, make a card and do something out of the box!!!

You can check out more details over at the Cinema Blog here: Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge.

Thanks so much for stopping by today!!!!
Big hugs,
Sankari :) 

4 comments:

Trina said...

Awesome!

Jenny said...

whoop whoop!!!! I loved this movie and I love your card!! It's so funny that when I was reading the post, before I got to your picture, I was thinking 'I should use that rocksstar paper pack I got in the summer for this one' and then I scrolled down and saw it in your card!! Bahaha!!!! Great minds think alike??? lol...Well I'll just have to find something else and be original! I'll definately be playing along this week! Great card, as usual...Thanks for being such an inspiration:) Jenny

Maria Elena said...

What a great card ! Love all details, congratulations !

Have a great Wednesday ;-)
http://mariaelenaworld.blogspot.com/

Libby Hickson said...

LOVE your Edward Scissorhands card! So sad I wasn't able to play along with this one, boo hoo. :-(