Saturday, December 27, 2008

Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge - #12 - An Affair to Remember

The challenge for this week's Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge is to create a card, scrapbook layout or altered project inspired by the 1957 Oscar nominated movie: An Affair to Remember, starring Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. I hope you all take a peek at this challenge and play along! Its a great way to watch a movie, make a card and hear everyone's stories about their favorite parts of this movie :). Come on and check it out here.

This is one of my father's favorite movies and one of my favorites too! I remember watching this when I was little with my dad - although back then I missed some of the meaning of the dialogue. He was totally excited that we were doing this movie this week - we had a lovely talk about our favorite scenes from this movie and then we got into a whole conversation about the best Cary Grant movies :) I loved hearing my dad's stories of how old he was when he watched these movies and what his experiences were. I know watch this movie differently, because now when I watch some scenes, I know that they are my dad's favorites :)

This week, we are visitng my in-laws for Christmas vacation and I had a chance to watch this movie again with my mother-in-law and father-in-law. We are all just absolute fans of Cary Grant - that man defines elegance and grace - he is just classic. I loved sitting and watching this with my in-laws and sighing here and there at the same time with my MIL - by the end of the movie - we were both crying (even my FIL had a little tear)... sigh - i just love this movie!

Watching it again - I forgot how brilliant the dialogue is - it is so humorous and savy and this movie is full of very very smart writing. I mean this movie was released in 1957!!! AND it is SOOO clever in the writing - seriously - you have to see this movie if you haven't seen it yet! This movie has been voted as one of the most romantic movies of all time by the American Film Institute. This movie inspired Sleepless in Seattle with Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks, The movie Love Affair with Warren Beatty and Anette Betting and Mann with Amir Khan and Manisha Koirali. An Affair to Remember totally inspires love and is such a classic love story.

I love Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr's back and forth banter - so cute and clever and charming. I had so many ideas for making a card - but the two that I picked were inspired by 1) the fact that they both agreed to meet at the Empire State building 6 months later and 2) the song called: TomorrowLand.

The first card is inspired by the 6 month meeting place of the Empire State building. Deborah Kerr exlaims that it is the closest thing to heaven. I wrote the sentiment: You were heaven sent" inspired by this part of the movie. I use Jen's Sketch for You to Try for this sketch. This is the sketch from December 20th.
I loved the little circles on the bottom of the sketch and had fun making a little circle collage of purple-y colors.

Watching this part of the movie when he is waiting for her to meet him at the Empire State Building is just too sweet - esp. when you see him waiting in the thunder storm. Sigh! I love that the Empire State Building is a symbol of their love and a symbol of them being close to heaven. This is a little card that I have to save for my little tweetheart for Valentine's day :)

I also loved the song Tomorrowland - it was so sweet and the lyrics are just too sweet. The handwritten senitment: "May your troubles, like bubbles, vanish in the air" are the actual lyrics from the movie. I used bubble wrap over the DP in this card to represent the bubbles from the lyrics of the song....( on a sidenote, doesn't popping bubbles always help one's problems vanish into the air?)

I used Kazan's totally fun sketch from 2 Sketches for U. Love the circles in this sketch and love the wavy wavy wavy border. It was perfect for the bubbles in this card project. I punched out some DP from Provocraft with my CM circle punches and then cut out a similar circle from packing bubbles that I then adhered to the DP circle. The shiny silver paper is from paper Craft, the gray one is from my stash, the bottom DP is also from ProvoCraft. The buttons are from my MIL's stash (she was so sweet to let me raid her button stash) and I hand wrote the sentiment.

here is a side view - you can see the packing bubbles from this view. I totally love this song and I love the lyrics -  here are some more of the lyrics: "There's a wonderful place called tomorrowland, and its only a dream away, and the moment you get to tomorrowland, you'll forget about today. You'll forget every care, and your troubles, like bubbles, will vanish in air. Ask me how do you get to tomorrowland. Close your eyes, make a wish and you're there."  I totally loved this song growing up... always felt like a daydreaming kind of song... so sweet.... you can watch the video on YouTube here


here is a closer view of the bubbles:


here are both cards side by side:


I loved making cards for this challenge and I loved using these awesome sketches too! I seriously have fallen in love with this movie again - and with Cary Grant even more - sigh! If you haven't watched this movie - I would totally suggest renting it, snuggling on the couch with some popcorn and enjoy this beautiful era of filmmaking.

We would love it if you would play along with us! Go and check out the Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge Blog for more details! Its so much fun to see what everyone comes up with from the same movie!!

Can't wait to see your lovely creations!!

Thanks for visiting today! We are traveling tomorrow back to Iowa - so I will have a chance then to come around and visit all my awesome blog buddies! Hope you have been enjoying the holiday season!!

Sending you merry and bright wishes!
Lots of love always,
Sankari

18 comments:

Laura Davis said...

Oh I am so glad you played this week! Your card is darling and so ingenious! The bubble wrap is so cool!
Laura

fishlips said...

These are so so cleaver...love the bubbles.....wow these just leave me speechless they are just so unique!!!!!!

Cassie said...

I love the bubble wrap!

Tamaroo said...

What a cool saying!

Mary said...

So cute! Love the bubbling! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Love your cards! The one you made for 2s4u is so creative! Great job combining challenges!

Unknown said...

Love your cards! The one you made for 2s4u is so creative! Great job combining challenges!

Anthonette said...

Hi Sankari,
I loved both your cards and your inspiration for both. I almost used the Tomorrowland song for my card too. How did you make the Empire State Building? Very clever, my dear!

Katie said...

How fun is that bubble wrap?! My kids would LOOVE it ;) I do too, BTW!!

Katie

Chrisd said...

This is one of my favorite movies. My Mom and I watched together so many time when I was a teenager. There is also a earlier B&W version with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer. I have seen it so often that I know parts of the dialogue by heart. I will have to try this one in memory of my Mom.
Holiday greetings,

Unknown said...

These are so great! Love the bubbles!!!

Jen said...

Beautiful cards! I have never seen this movie. My DH is off all week, so maybe we can make the time to watch it:)

Louise F NZ said...

Totally gorgeous as usual! Love the skyscraper, too cute. Hope you had a really fantastic Christmas... All the best for 09

Tammy Hershberger said...

What cute ideas, Sankari! I'm not familiar with that movie... maybe I'll have to rent it!

Shirley said...

How creative and perfect both cards are! Love the bubbles. I have never seen them look that great before!

Dawn said...

You are so amazing and UNBELIEVEABLY talented! I LOVE LOVE LOVE to see when you have posted a new card! It is like eating a cupcake! Sweet and delish and makes me smile! Looking forward to more gorgeousness in the new year!
Dawn

gale said...

Those are both amazing as usual! I love the bubble wrap idea. So cute!

Anonymous said...

After reading the information, I may have different views, but I do think this is good BLOG!