Thursday, September 4, 2008

Taylored Expressions Cupcake Challenge #32

Good Morning Everyone,

Do I smell cupcakes baking??? 
Is it Friday?!!!

YES and YESSS!!!! 

Because its the most wonderful day of the week: It's time for Taylor's Friday Cupcake Challenge and this week is awesome becauseTaylor just announced that she is releasing a new line of stamps called: Stamp a Sweet Impression and let me tell you, from the tempting sneak peeks that I have seen - they are SO awesome and beyond cute!!!  You will have to go check out both her stamps and her awesome storage system that will available starting at midnight (EST) on the 5th.

Well, I was already looking forward to this week because it was my birthday (and while I am excited about everyone else's birthdays, this was the first time in a long while that I have been excited about my own). To even make it more exciting, Taylor picked me to be the Featured Cupcake Sampler this week! 


Woo-hoo! I was so honored and excited and surprised! THANK YOU TAYLOR!!The best part is that I got to participate in the new release of her sweet stamps. As soon as I saw this stamp, I was in love!! and couldn't wait to make a card for this week's sketch - which is awesome! 
I love the half-circles in the sketch and  the sentiment that immediately popped into mind was: Wish Big! So this is what I came up with:
 I love this little guy blowing out his cake!!! I colored this set with my Prism pencils and then covered it with liquid glaze. The little cherry on the cupcake is a red brad, there are yellow brads on the cake and teal star brads on the corners. The sentiment was made in Photoshop and then cut out with My Creative Memories Circle cutters. I outlined around the circles in both little droplets of teal paint and red candy cane 
stickles. I wanted a big bow for the Wish Big sentiment and I love that you can see the fun cardstock through the ribbon. This card was beyond fun to make! 

Well, you know what they say ... time flies when you are having fun... I couldn't stop after making this card - so I made another one with Taylor's sketch (I couldn't get this sketch out of my mind because the half circles reminded me of cupcake tops - seriously - all I see these days are cupcakes! :)
So I thought I would make another simple card with two cupcakes next to each other:  
I used my new Stampin UP! scallop punch (courtesy of my awesome buddy Brooke!) and punched out some aqua cardstock and folded it in half and adhered them together to create the tops. For the cupcake bottoms, I went to the pantry and got 2 baking cups that I folded and wrapped and adhered them side by side. 
The little "cherry" is a button with red thread and little burgandy paint droplets on the edges. The edges of the cupcake tops are lined with waterfall stickles and the edges of the pink cardstock are edged with Martha's metallic ink. I wrote the sentiment (happy b-day dear you) around cupcakes in a brown archival pen from CM. This card was so much fun to make too - and very simple :) But then again, how can things not be fun when you are working with cupcakes :)

I love Cupcake Land :)

Thanks everyone for coming over for a visit!
Have a fabulous weekend and hope you give Taylor's fun sketch a try!

Best wishes,
Sankari :)

EDIT: just realized that the OCC theme for this week is birthday - so I am so excited that I can offer these cards for the challenge :)

17 comments:

Donna Baker said...

OH MY SWEETNESS! Both of these cards are SO yummy & fabulous! I saw Taylor's first, was so delighted she sent you a set - blessed for your birthday you are! the cupcake liner card is just ingenious - you are clever, girl! I love all the details on the first card, stickles, pearl, colors, etc! congratulations, you so deserve these honors!

Catherine said...

LOL! I knew you'll be the next pick and I'm so happy for you and what a great Birthday present for you =)

Both of you cards for this weeks sketch challenge is just too adorable. Congratulations, Sankari....way to start a Birthday weekend ;)

Marie said...

Belated Happy Birthday! You have made two beautiful cards. Both have their own flare, but I especially love your creativity with the scallop punches. What a neat idea! I apologize for not dropping by more often as I am busy with moving to CA. Hopefully, I will get into my new home soon...

Yvonne Randall said...

What a brilliant idea. People's creativity never ceases to amaze me.

Denise Marzec said...

Oh my word, I love your attention to detail! The way you colored Taylor's cupcake and cake is just FANTASTIC! Such detail and the glaze really adds punch. Love the second card too and how you layered the scallops. Very cool!

Felicia said...

Oh my goodness how clever you are!! Love the idea of using actual cupcake liners. Your cards are great. Happy Belated Birthday! And big congrats on being selected as the cupcake featured stamper. You did a awesome job with Taylor's new stamp line!

Sherri said...

Today's projects are GORGEOUS!!

Savitri said...

Oh so clever you!!! I LOVE them. I've got to say the flip-flopped cupcakes is my favorite card. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Hey, guess you got your lesson plan and some card making done? :)

I am LOVING your glazed stuff. I just want to run my hands through them! Hey, can I get your address? It's been so fun emailing and visiting your blog and I'd love it if sometimes I can surprise you with a card. Email me!

Regan said...

wow wow wow!!! Speachless

Jennifer said...

Such sweeeet cards! I found your blog by way of Taylored Expressions, and I am so glad I did. (Adding your blog to my Google Reader!) I'm also a CM consultant, and it's nice to see other CMC's showcasing their creativity in various ways.

Taylor said...

Such beautiful, inspriational cards, Sankari! I love the cupcakes you created on your second card... so clever! Thank you so much for being a part of this special release day!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Wow! Awesome cards! Love the colors you used with Taylor's new stamps... and the other card is just so creative! TFS!

Brooke S said...

Oh My GOSH!!! What a cool week for you... How luck to be asked to be a guess stamper on your b-day week... And Free stamps......YAAAHOOO!!! There is so much detail on your first "Featured" card... Wowzers.... I am so proud of you... I love the second card... How stinken' clever are you... Now everyone is totally going to case you... You totally invented a new technique. You will be Famous... Just know that I loved you even before everyone else even knew you...(he,he) I can wait to see more for you....

Hugs
Brooke

Maria L. said...

Hi Sankari... your wish big and cupcake cards are wonderful. :) They are so eye catching. Thanks for the inspiration. I saw your cards on Taylor's blog and made my way to yours. I will definitely check out the rest of your entries. You have such a fun vibe on your blog! :)

~Maria

zukesgirl said...

They both are AWESOME cards --- I love how the first one looks like it has icing on it and th second is just soooo creative!

Love it!

Tracy

Toni K said...

Wow! What gorgeous cards! This is the first time I've visited your blog and I'm blown away! Great details.

Curt in Indy said...

I am so impressed with the creativeness of these cards! I love how you used real cupcake liners! Awesome job! Best, Curt