Saturday, November 8, 2008

Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge # 5 - Memoirs of a Geisha



Good Morning Everyone,

This week's Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge showcases the Oscar winning movie: Memoirs of a Geisha (2005). It is a movie that I have wanted to see and that Brooke has wanted to see - so we picked it for this week's challenge. What a great way to watch a movie - to be able to talk about it with your blogging buddy and then create something from it that was inspiring - I had a really great time this week making this card.

I created two cards for this challenge. I (actually made 5 cards in total from these papers - the whole set is at the end of this post. Here are the two cards for this week's challenge:


The inspiration piece really came from this part of the movie, where the geisha's perform and are wearing this beautiful pink, purple silk with flowers flowing from their hair.


The card that I made came from the scene above. I used Julee's holiday blitz sketch #4 for this card. I beaded silk flowers with pink, champagne, lavendar color beads that I then attached to a golden color knitting needles. The papers are from Yosumato and are origami papers, the stamps are a gift from my dad (from last year that was inked finally) and then it was embossed with gold EP. I love the sentiment: Fortunate" because Chiyo was so fortunate to have someone to help her in a world where no one could be trusted. This is doubling as a birthday card for a friend - and is wishing that she is always blessed with good fortune.


This second card that I made is inspired from when Chiyo is practicing the art of dancing with these golden fans. Its really quite amazing and beautiful. I wanted to incorporate the red and black colors that are painted in a geisha's face (the striking red lips, the striking black eyebrows and hair). And the sentiment of friend and joy - that having a good friend brings a great joy to the heart. This card uses Julee's holiday release sketch #5 from the

These cards were so much fun to make - I thoroughly enjoyed working with these beautiful papers and beading for this project.
Don't forget to check out Brooke's awesome card for this challenge! I hope that you have a chance to check out our movie challenge over at Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge.

Come on over and play with us!!!

Thanks for coming over for a visit!!
See you at the movies!
Sankari

20 comments:

Amy, Ottawa, Canada said...

Your Cards are beautiful. I love, love, love the PP you used. I had to laugh, we have the same stamps ... hmmm do you perchance frequent Michaels?
Thanks again for hosting CSCC.

Eva said...

WOW......such gorgeous cards!!! Loved this movie and your take on it is amazing!!! Lovely creations!

Unknown said...

These Cinema challenges are SO cool! I am going to HAVE to try one of these! GREAT cards! I love your blog it is so fun and fresh!

Anthonette said...

All I can say is WOW! I had to click on the photo to make sure I didn't miss any details. This is a work of art. You totally captured that photo of the geisha in pink. Beautiful!!!

Melzie said...

W.o.w. Seriously- beautiful work!

Brooke S said...

My eyes are hurting from so much beauty. (he,he) I CAN NOT even believe these cards! You touched my heart so much with the first card. I felt all the emotion of the Geisha trying to feel important and beautiful proving their worth. like Sayuri says "I am important"!!! This soft card touches all our inner beauty. And the hair piece on the card well dang! It's just perfect like {U}..
The second card is such a great passionate card. The red of the Geisha and all the pageantry that goes along with it. Just perfect!

Hugs
Brooke

Regan said...

WOW- very very pretty!!

Rachel Brumley said...

Sankari

These cards are absolutely gorgeous! I love the coloring on the card on the left side.

I will have to try one of these challenges!

Chrisd said...

I love your cards. I have something like those beautiful background papers and wondered how it would work with my stamps. Thanks for inspiring me to go outside the box and to stretch my options in cardmaking.

Jennifer Schmidt said...

I love this movie! What beautiful cards!! They are absolutely stunning!

fishlips said...

Wow oh Wow I'm so speechless, all these cards just take my breath away!!!! OUTSTANDING!!!!

Kisa Peters said...

WOW! These cards are BEAUTIFUL!

Tlbran said...

Gorgeous cards! I havent' seen the movie but after seeing your cards I am going to have to get it. I love your first card, your flower/beads and the colors and patterns you used were awesome. Great challenge.

Louise F NZ said...

BEAUTIFUL, GORGEOUS, STUNNING!!!!
I love the pink card, but they are all fab.

Savitri said...

Awesome card!! WOW! They're all really stunning!!

gale said...

Amazing cards! They are so gorgeous. I have some origami like that from my mom's last trip to Japan and I can't bring myself to use it. lol.

I loved that movie too.

The Mama Monkey said...

Oh, I just love Asian inspired cards! These are absolutely stunning!

Brooke S said...

OK I think you have gone nuts.... Where are you finding all the time to make all these cards... You are really putting me to shame... You are totally amazing... I think your new name is CHALLENGE QUEEN...
LOVE YA
Brooke

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Cards Shankari..You are great at this..

-Renuka

Shirley said...

I love Asian cards and yours are just so elegant! Very very lovely.