Saturday, November 7, 2009

Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge #57 - My Big Fat Greek Wedding


Good Morning Everyone!! Today over at the Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge are so excited to feature the totally fun and sweet Oscar nominated movie from 2002: My Big Fat Greek Wedding!!!! This movie was the sleeper hit of the year and it was nominated for best original screenplay. This love story is all about family, love, culture and coming into your own.

I absolutely LOVED this movie from the very first moment that I saw it!!! You could replace the word "Indian" with "Greek" and it would fit perfectly! I related to so many things in this movie - like her desire to want to fit in when she was younger (I remember my mom packed me curry sandwiches to school - when everyone around me had PBnJ sandwiches but the real fun started when my DH and I got married - it was definitely a "cultural experience" for his family to meet my loud, huge family :) I love each character in this movie, from the way the mother and father interact with each other, to her aunt, to all the cousins, to the main characters as they fell in love with each other. I love how they would celebrate the moment in the movie with the greek word: "Opa!" which can be understood as an exclamation of joy!


So for my card today, I used Julee's awesome sketch from Julee's awesome Mojo Monday Sketch #111 and I created a little wedding card with the colors from the Greek flag - with two lovebirds from Verve and the sentiment Opa! on the side ( this was printed on the shimmery paper at a 1" size and then punched out with my 1" circle punch):




Card Ingredients:
Paper: Imagience
Ink: Memento Navy blue
Accessories: Charms, ribbon, liquid pearls, pearls from Kaiser, dimensionals, spellbinders, corner chomper, circle punches (1" thru 1 and 3/4")

It was so much fun to watch this movie as I made this card! Made me want to call my whole family and tell them how much I LOVE them!!!

Please check out the Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge blog for more details and to see some awesome inspiration cards from Brooke and Samara!!
Big hugs!
Sankari :)

12 comments:

scrapperjulia said...

This is so beautiful, Sankari! Love the blue and white love birds. Terrific take on the challenge! This is one of my favorite movies!

Marisa said...

Fabulous take on the Cinema challenge and this week's Mojo sketch! Great card!!

Jessica Diedrich said...

You are amazing! There is NOTHING you can't create into a stunning work of art-LOVE this! i'd have been stumped!

savvy teaching tips said...

Wow - so fabulous as usual. I love your blog. Please check out my blog for blog candy. stamperontheshore.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Beautiful card!

Cassie_lu said...

beautiful card and love the blue/white effect of it

Maria said...

I finally found some time to blurf!! I haven't stopped by and said hello for a while now. . .been so busy lately! Ugggh!

Oooh, what a gorgeous card, Sankari! I love those love birds. . .so adorable. That dp that you chose is beautiful. . .your cards always have a festive look to it! Great choice of colors too!

LOL! I can imagine the cultural shock your husband's family must have had. I'm from a large Asian family and my husband comes from a white conservative family. . .my family talks and laugh loudly, very jovial and close knit. . .very different from my husband's family.. . .although they are the sweetest, they're so formal with one another. Too quiet. . . drives me bananas!!!

I'll see if I can fit some time to play this week. Hope all is well!

Maria

Dawn said...

OH MY WOW! This is FANTASTIC! Not that I am suprised, all your stuff is, but WOW! I love everything about this card, and this fab movie!!

Naomi said...

LOVE the blues here! I am not a blue person, but it looks amazing here! The birds are the perfect touch, and I love your sentiment......OPA!

Karli said...

absolutely stunning card! Love it :)

Radha said...

totally love it... me in the same situation!!!
Mix culture!
Fun

see the humor part:)

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

This is just so beautiful, Sankari! Love it! Thanks for playing! :)