Saturday, May 9, 2009

Happy Mother's Day - Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge #27 - Steel Magnolias



HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY Everyone!!!!

This week, in honor of Mother's Day - we are featuring the movie: Steel Magnolias at the Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge. Every week, we pick a movie and create a card/LO or altered project that is inspired by the movie (either from the costumes, dialogue, characters, music, etc.). This week's movie pick not only a movie about mother-daughter relationships -but also frienships and the strength of women - who are as tough as steel but as soft and beautiful as the magnolia flower.

I remember watching this movie a long time ago - and just laughing and crying - but somehow watching it this week as I gpt ready to make my card - I appreciated this movie at a whole different level. I think it is because this is the first time I am re-watching the movie after becoming a mother... and the experience was totally different. I feel like I understood SaField's role sooo muc more - and the scene with Julia Robetrts and her baby - when her husband comes home ( - that scene just had me in tears - I can't imagine something like that - and it was hard for me to watch that - because I was thinking of my little wee ones... I adore adore Sally Field in this movie - she is such an inspiration - and her relationship with her daughter in this movie is so real, perfect and wonderful.


So it was that relationship that I wanted to honor and I used Julee's awesome sketch from this week's Mojo Monday #85 for this card - along with her beautiful stamps from Verve. The sentiment is from the Because of You stamp set and the flowers are from the Wishful Elegance set. I absolutely Adore this sentiment - and thought it really captured the mother/daughter relationship between Sally Fields and Julia Roberts.


The papers are from Basic Grey, the buttons are from stash, the ink is Adirondack Expresso and the Pearls are from Kaiser. I had so much fun making this card, which I made as I watched Steel Magnolias again - and I have to say - that once the tears started - it was hard to get them to stop - Sally Fields soooo ROCKs that scene at the end -- and I just finished the movie so grateful and also so inspired and it brought back alot of memories from my childhood. One of my favorite memories with my mom is sitting by the window whenever it was a cloudy rainy day - with the windows open :) and she would drink her chai and I would drink hot milk with a spoonful of her chai in my cup! Even to this day - i LOVE cloudy days - and totally ache for a cup of chai as soon as the rains come!

I have to say that it wasn't until I became a mother -that the fullness of all that my mother had gone through and undergone really hit home. I have always always always adored, and admired my mother - she is my rock. And it was only when I held my first born that I truly understood that ache in a mother's heart --- it is an ache of love, of fierce protection, of letting go, of unconditional love -- a love so deep - that it can cut metal - a love so nourishing, that it can heal all wounds - a love so unbounded - that all sorrows melt into joy.


I only hope that I can be a quarter of the mother that my mom has been for me - she is truly inspirational and is the rock of my heart.

Please check out more details on our Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge and we hope that you play along!

Wishing each of you a wonderful mother's day!
Hugs,
Sankari :)

18 comments:

Sarah-Jane Kalé said...

Beautiful Sankari!!!

An absolutely BEAUTIFUL card... I just LOVE the colours, the layout...everything about it. And your beautiful words... you've got me sitting here with tears... I'm such a sookie La La!!! hahaha. So very true, we don't understand and appreciate our mums fully until we are mummys ourselves. You are a beautiful person and I'm sure an absolutely WONDERFUL mummy. Hope you have a fabulous Mother's Day, and your little darlings spoil you rotten...

Hugs..and Kisses
Sarah (SJK)
xxxxxx

Amy, Ottawa, Canada said...

Firstly, BE-U-Ti-FUL card. Love all the details. Secondly, great pic for a movie: laughing, & tears. Good for a hormone rollercoaster movie. I'll have to put time aside for that one this week.
Thanks for all the work you guys put into this challenge each week.

Ann said...

This is so beautiful, Sankari! And I don't just mean the colors or the embellishments--the sentiment is just so perfect, not only for this movie, but this being Mother's Day weekend. Fabulous work!

designsfromwithinbycharlotte said...

This is a lovely card, love the colors, flowers and everything about it!! Really pretty!
Hugs,
Charlotte

Chat Noir said...

Love this card Sankari, and the sentiment says it all. I'm sure you're a fabulous Mum, but we never know how other see us do we? My son came home really late last night, and I was "awake" waiting, thoug he wouldn't have known... and this morning on the kitchen bench is a huge bunch of white flowers and a card from him. SO in between the bossiness of my mothering, something must be ok!

Your mother will love this card because it so clearly is made with love.

Maria said...

Your card is beautiful Sankari. . .I love your layout, the pretty colors, the beautiful flowers. . everything!!

I hope you have a wonderful mother's day. . .enjoy your day and hope you find the time to relax!!

Maria

Anne Laflamme said...

wow... that card is very georgous... wow..

BRAVO

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Wow, Sankari! This card is just stunningly gorgeous. Love everything about it. Thanks for playing! :)

Jaimee said...

gorgeous Card Sankari, love the pink and brown combo and the qoute is lovely

Jen Tapler said...

GORGEOUS!!!! Congrats on your MoJo win girl!!!

Anonymous said...

Just BEAUTIFUL, everything on this cards flows together so perfectly! I love your colour scheme. Also, a huge congrats on winning the Mojo!

Shari said...

Nice Job Sankari *winner*

Shari

Patti MacLeith said...

So beautiful, I love everything about it! Congratulations!

Olena said...

Your cards are stunning!!! I LOVE it! Congrats on winning the Mojo! ~Olena~

Tlbran said...

Beautiful card! I love that sentiment.

Anonymous said...

This card is fabulous. What a wonderful Mother's Day card and a great story about your Mom. Sounds like she is awesome.

**Nancy** said...

WOW! this card is gorgeous!!!

Eleonora said...

Your card is once again so so beautiful! And story is so touching!